[LRflex] Re: Adapting Leica M lenses to Leica R (?)

  • From: "Dave Saalsaa" <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:03:41 -0600

Ah, Gary,  your 50mm lens would not become equivalent to a 25mm lens on your
E-330, it would become a longer lens.  I don't know the factor but  probably
something in the 80mm range.    One thing I have done with some of my older
Leica lenses like the  135mm Hector is unscrew the  lens capsule from the
Hector barrel and use it with the focusing barrel for Visoflex.  That
focusing barrel with the correct adapter tube and adapter to my Canon 20D
works well as a macro lens.   Surprisingly well in fact. I use a Leica M to
R adapter and then a Leica R to EOS adapter.  You can do the same thing with
the other Visoflex compatible lenses as long as you have the correct tube to
mount them to the focusing barrel and still maintain infinity focus.   But a
simpler and much less expensive solution is to buy an M 42 adapter and use
some of the old Pentax Takumar lens which can be picked up for  less than
$20 on ebay.   All of the Takumar 50mm lenses are superb.  The 35mm  f/3.5
Takumar would be close to the 50mm focal length on your E-330.  I also use
(to keep this more on topic) the Leica 35mm Elmarit R with adapter on my 20D
and it gives very nice results.  Super sharp lens and since  you are
basically using the center of the optical coverage it works well wide open.
Have fun playing with different lenses and adapters.  I am having a ball
trying out new things and cobbling up different combinations.
Dave