[LRflex] Re: Action shot...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:06:56 -0700

On Jun 27, 2008, at 3:59 PM, David Young wrote:

Steve Barbour wrote:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/steer.htm

that's a very neat shot David,  and I see a lot of adults in the
background enjoying it...

but I must ask you about it...

Hi Steve!

The kids are required to wear lots of protective gear ... chest protectors, elbow/knee pads and, of course, helmets. At the pro level, nearly all the protective gear is worn, except helmets, and they are slowly coming into vogue.

Injuries are few, but they do occur. The young lad in the shot above was not injured, although an older lad did have his hand stepped on, by a cow, later in the day. His hand was pretty sore, but nothing was broken.

You'll note that there are lots of people around the young riders ... they are there to protect the riders in every way possible ... often making themselves human targets for the steer's rage.

At least the medical risks are low, in that Canadians have access to every medical facility for free. We have total medical coverage, without cost. (OK, two provinces out of 10 charge premiums ... I live in one of them, and it costs a family of 5, or less, just $96 per month, for everything except prescription costs. By everything, I mean just that. All office visits, through all hospital costs, all tests, X-rays, etc. - without limit.) So, although injuries do happen, in Rodeo, the medical costs resulting from one are not likely to bankrupt the family.

As for the legal aspect. All contestants (and their parents) sign waivers absolving the rodeo of any liability. They know the risks of riding bucking beasts. I've talked to many of these kids ... and none were coerced by their parents. They know what they're doing, the risks involved, and sign up happily.

The legal aspects are much the same, in the US, as Doug explained.

All this being said... I have a few friends who are all ex-Rodeo champions ... and long careers in Rodeo have left them pretty gimped up! But, it's a choice they made, and not one regrets it.

thanks for answering David, and in such a comprehensive and good natured way...Steve