[LRflex] Re: A whole lot of Bull ... Part II.

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:31:17 +0200

David ,
I may have gone square ( not deliberately), but more important I cloned the cone out ;-)
That's what had disturbed me in your first post - otherwise excellent.
Pinch of French saltedly yours
Amitiés
Philippe

David Young wrote:

At 07/09/2008, you wrote:

David without question there are two (2) photographs here with and without cropping! That's why I believe never mind telling people what you did with the image pre-posting to list! You should always pick "your way" and not listen to a collection of committee members adding there 2 cents worth. Which in most cases only creates confusion on the photographers selection of "HOW HE OR SHE LIKES THE PHOTO IN THE FIRST PLACE!" After all it's your work not the collective attitudes of others. Quite frankly if one were to listen to everyone giving their 2 pennies worth in the long run you could very easily throw your hands up and quit! It's your shot and in many cases others only create a complete bundle of confusion when it's a gang bang of concepts in their minds! What we have are two very well cropped images, both story telling.... The whole scene, clown and all which I find from a rodeo view point very interesting as it illustrates the safety factor of the clown ready to jump to the rescue! Which still includes the action of bull and rider very clearly with the "wild wild West action!" Then with some judicious cropping you go tighter and come away with a dynamite "Full blown award winning action photo of bull flying high!"
Man you can't lose with this one exposure!
That's my two pennies worth, whether it means anything any more than an others. It's your photograph! You do with it what you feel best and to hell with everybody else! Jeeeesh if I asked for the opinions of others during the past 50 plus years as a professional how they liked the photo, I'd not be here now. Probably pushing up dandelions still trying to sort out their opinions! J
ted

Good Mornin' Ted!

Thanks for your inspirational "do it your way" speech! (It seems I've had that one, before!)

Normally, I would agree with all that you have said.

I only mentioned the cropping in response to a question from Steve Barbour ... the option to accept ideas on the cropping from others had nothing to do with wanting their opinions.

You must remember that I wear two hats, here. One, as the photographer ... the other as the list admin. Out of 300+ members, fewer than 10% ever make a post, while fewer than 5% post regularly. The others just lurk ... and although they do not actively participate; I know, from many private mails, how much they enjoy reading the list. Thus, when an opportunity to "let them choose" comes up, I'll often go for it. Off list, I received numerous crops of my shot, from regulars like Steve and Philippe, to others who'd never post, on list.

Of them all, I like the first crop I posted. Yes, removing a little foreground (as you suggested) might make it a bit better, but I tend to crop to standard ratios, so that I can have prints made at my local lab. Going square (as Philippe did) might make it a bit better, but it's hard to get printed ...at least, around here!

So, when you say It's your photograph! You do with it what you feel best and to hell with everybody else! that's actually what I've done. But, I've also let many of the lurkers feel as if they have a say, too. Its' simply good PR!

Because I always appreciate your advice add support, I thought, perhaps, that I'd explain myself!

So thanks.

Give Irene a hug for us!

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/> Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>