[LRflex] A rare opportunity...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:09:54 -0700

Good Mornin' fellow Flexers!

Around 9 AM, yesterday morning, I got a call from a neighbour... to say that there were bear cubs, in a tree, just a block from our house!

It was a unique opportunity, as it is very rare to see cubs that young - perhaps 5 months old and weighing just 10 to 15 pounds. Even more rare to see them for longer than a minute, or so... and you'd never normally see them without having to seriously worry about Moma!

But, Mom was in a bear trap, across the road. The youngsters were eventually caught, tranquilized, and the entire family given a "taxi" ride, well out of town.

Having the opportunity to "shoot" them for 2 hours... in good light and just a block from the house was amazing, indeed!

There are 8 bears known to frequent our town, at present. The wildlife folks want to relocate them; as this has been a very, very late spring (we had 2 inches [5 cm] of snow, as recently as last Wednesday) and there is little for the bears (and other wildlife) to eat. Hungry bears, in town, become a serious hazard to the residents.

From a photographer's viewpoint, they represent wasted opportunities, as they are nocturnal, thus impossible to photograph with any lens which will allow you to stand at a safe distance and far too dangerous to "shoot" with a Noctilux!

Thus, yesterday was, indeed, a very rare opportunity!

Here is the "family photo"

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/DoubleUP.htm

and the individual portraits...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OneBrown.htm