[LRFlex] Re: A question for the 20D users. With Lexar cards

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:23:03 -0700

Speaking of which, I had a 40x Lexar CF card go belly up on me. It wouldn't reformat, or erase on any system. In camera, it locked up the camera. I had to pull out the CF card and the battery for a new restart. I even tried their image rescue software that can also do a complete wipe. Again to no avail.
I called Lexar support. They refused to acknowledge that the card was bad until I tried reformating it on a PC with a Windows program. Obviously, being a Leica photographer I use a Mac, laptop and Desktop. I'm taking issue with them on this, as I shouldn't be forced to use a system that I don't care to use. I did, however, try to reformat it on a friends PC with the same results.
So, to make this story even more tedious, I had sent back a 1gig 80x card as it was the older crash and burn version with the last four 4A6B for a warranty exchange. In the mean time I order another one from B&H. They send a card with the same last four, which in turn I'm also sending back to Lexar for the software fix. One would think that after a couple of months with this problem they would of pulled all the cards off the shelfs to minimize any negative backlash.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8, AGCC
http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Jun 23, 2005, at 7:51 AM, David Young wrote:

G'Mornin' Ted!

Like you, I wasn't worried about running out - the 2x 1GB cards plus a 512 MB card that I have are roughly equivalent to 10 rolls of 24 exp., all in less space than a single roll of Kodachrome. However, I was curious about the apparently varying capacities.

I hope you and Irene enjoyed Cabo! :-) I find Cabo a bit 'busy', and prefer San Jose del Cabo (fewer tourists, quainter, quieter lifestyle); or, to the north, La Paz (BCS's historic capital) or, to the west, Todos Santos (home of the "Hotel California" made famous by "The Eagles").

As for the Epson "thing-y", if you get one, please let us know how it works out. Gary, at Rude and Insulting, has it plus another brand (can't remember the name) and the idea appeals to me, too. Though I note on Nikon guru, Moose Peterson's site, he says that he uses the Epson "digital wallet", but will not erase his cards until the photos are on his computer! This CYA approach (after all, it *is* a portable hard drive) is likely good for a pro, but means that you need the "thing-y" AND more CF-cards!

Makes me think I'd just buy more cards! (I'm not a pro!)

There's also a portable CD burner out there. Some people feel that it's a better idea. If you're travelling, you can burn 2 CD's, carry one and mail one home. If you get 'mugged' in a foreign land, you should still have the one you mailed home. If one gets lost in the mail, you will still have the one you carry. Chances of both catastrophes happening in one trip are slim, so your photos are pretty secure.

Cheers!

David.

----------------

On 22/06/2005 at 4:42 PM Ted Grant wrote:
Hi David,
Interesting note as I never bothered to see how many shots there are since the first card I received with the camera. So recently I figured I should make sure I always have a bunch of space so popped for a couple of 2 Gig cards, you just keep on blasting away and they never seem to come to the end. ;-) Beats the hell out of changing film every short bit. ;-)

So I figured there'd always be lots of space, until I went to Cabo san Lucas in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and near filled both clicking away. :-) Actually finished off the week on a 1 Gig card. :-) So I figure maybe I need one of those Epson downloading things with music and big viewing screen! ;-) Or buy a couple more 2 or 4 Gigger's! ;-)

I mean I'd hate to run out of rolls of gig ! ;-)

ted

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.