[LRflex] A most enjoyable day.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 06:42:21 -0700

Good Morning, all!

Yesterday, I got to spend a most enjoyable morning..

CAPA - The Canadian Association for Photographic Art - recently held their
"National Open" photo competition.  Yesterday, two others and myself got to
judge the 280+ entries.

Unlike the National Wildlife competition, which I have previously judged,  the
"Open" is a much harder contest to judge, for it is open to all subjects,
styles and genres.  It's relatively easy, for instance, to decide which is the
better of two bird photos; though it may be difficult to decide if a really
good bird is better than a really good wolf shot.

Much harder to decide which is the better of, say, an image of a snowy sunset
and one of the interior of an abandoned, derelict schoolhouse.

So, we looked for the usual things. Is the subject dead center? Deduct a point
if it is. Is there an obvious point of interest? Deduct a point, if not. Does
the composition lead the eye to that point of interest? Deduct a point if not.
Etc, etc, etc.

Fortunately, we did not have to concern ourselves with "is the shot in focus?"!
During the earlier Nature competition fully 20% (it seemed like 33%) were out
of focus!  This time, just one shot was noticeably out of focus... an
auto-focus error.  It was of a bird on a pinecone ... the pinecone was
perfectly sharp, while the bird was noticeably soft.

Despite three diverse judges, from different backgrounds, the judging was very
tight.  If the judges have a range of 4 or more points (out of 10), from the
lowest to the highest score, they are asked to reconsider their votes. This
happened on only one image and, upon refection, I raised my vote by one, which
resolved the problem.

All three judges noticed a distinct trend to over-sharpened, over-saturated
images with excessive contrast.  Those of you who enter contests may wish to
remember that all such images were marked sharply downwards, because of these
traits.

Afterwards, the Kamloops camera club (who hosted the competition) took us all
(judges, projector operators, marks counters, etc. - 7 of us, in all) out for a
very pleasant lunch!

As I said, a most enjoyable day. I hope that each of you, one day, get to enjoy
a similar event.

Best of light.

David.