[LRflex] Re: A large storage vault in your pocket

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:33:32 -0700

Bille Xavier F. wrote:

>Recently I have come across this offer.
>http://cgi.ebay.fr/Xdrive-photobank201-Disque-Dur-Externe-Lecteur-CF-XD-SD_=
W0QQitemZ7546128678QQcategoryZ79333QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemBill=
e Xavier F. wrote:

Hi Xavier!

I am having a lot of trouble finding english versions of a description for=
 this device - though there are many, many sites in French. However, I did=
 find one in New Zealand.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Digital-cameras/3-megapixel=
/auction-35269219.htm

The CENDA C-201 (80-GO!) appears to be a Chinese made photo storage bank=
 with a 40gb or 80Gb hard drive with a built-in card reader.

My concerns would be as follows:

1) warranty, reliability and after sales service.
2) support for RAW and TIFF files.
3) size of the display.

I am confident that it will support .jpg files... just about everything=
 does. But some of the other photo data banks have little or poor support=
 for TIFF files, and most do not do well with RAW files.  The Nikon one=
 does well for .nef (Nikon Raw) files, but not for Pentax or Canon (which=
 makes sense!).

And, I understand that the FASTRAX has some problems with RAW files as=
 well, though it works just fine with .jpg files.

The size is about 1" (25mm) shorter than the Epson P-2000 with=
 approximately the same width and thickness.  However, the display appears=
 to be not a lot larger than that on the back of a camera.

I recently purchased the Epson P-2000 as a mass storage device for when I=
 again travel. (Soon!)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/P-2000.shtml

It is one of the more expensive units, but has a 3.8" (9.65cm) screen=
 (diagonal) and the image is incredibly clear! It's super for checking your=
 shots. It has excellent support for CRW and CR2 files, as well as .nef and=
 other RAW formats.

With 36Gb free space, at 10mb per shot (CR2 RAW) it will hold 3,600 photos.=
 For me, a tourist who shoots 1 to 2 rolls of 36exp per day, it will hold a=
 month long trip without a problem.

It is a 40gb device, and runs about as long as the 80-GO ... 2.5hrs on one=
 charge of a lithium-ion battery.  The 3 hr charger is 100~240V 56/60=
 cylcle so works world-wide with only a plug adapter.

I think the biggest asset for me is that it is an Epson, so support is=
 good. Although my unit was up-to-date when I bought it 2 weeks ago, there=
 have been several sofware upgrades to improve performance and add more=
 formats.

I would recommend it to anyone. :-)

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC