[LRflex] Re: A few more photos - makiing extended DOF photos

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:37:17 -0800

OK. if you have CS4 it is easy to combine images to extend the depth of
field.

I set up on a tripod (lf course), and focus on the closest object I want to
be in focus and expose.  Then, moving the focus ring, either focus on other
elements, or just back the focus off a bit each time and take a shot.
Repeat until the focus is on the furthest element I want in focus.

I personally develop the RAW files in Lightroom.  It also makes it easy to
import all those images into Photoshop as layers.  At any rate, you must get
all your photos into Photoshop as layers of one image.  The order is not
important.  There are just two steps in Photoshop.  First you align the
layers (Edit, Auto Align), then you blend the layers (Edit, Auto Blend).
After a few minutes, depending on the power of your computer and the number
if images, you have your shot.  If it looks good, I flatten and save.

Sometimes it does not work well.  If you have too many gaps in your series
you may end up with details surrounded by out of focus areas .  Not pretty.
On the hibiscus with only two images, I had taken 8 or 9, but when I blended
them, I had too many gaps in the focus and it looked terrible.  I decided
that the first shot of the shadow was just fine an all I really wanted was
the pistil peaking up over the petal to be in focus, so I only blended the
first and last shot in the series.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/xmas09/fl/hybiscus-6804-Edit.jpg.html

Why not just stop down?
1) that close even stopping down to f-32 does not include enough.
2) stopping down too much degrades the performance of the stellar 100 APO,
or any other lens (diffraction rears it's ugly head)
3) stopping down also sharpens the background, and that my be annoying.

Shooting at f-4 to f-8 allows for a pleasing background and you are using
the "sweet spot" of the lens.

Hope this explains the process.

Aram