[LRflex] Re: A Huge Thank You for the Nikon/Leitax Question That was asked!

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:45:11 -0700

On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Richard Ward wrote:

Hello Group,
I wanted to send out a huge thank you for the member who started the Nikon Leitax inquiry thread. To be perfectly honest, I thought that 'Leitax' was simply another member in the pack of Leica R Mount to (insert brand) mount adapter makers out there in the world. Life goes so much better when one doesn't assume things one ought not to be assuming about, especially when the little google search window is sitting right there in my browser window! When I tardily did so, I was quite startled to see that the Leitax adapters are 'semi- permanent' mount adapters which screw right onto the backs of R mount lenses. That is quite a leg up on most of it's competition in the durability and long term optical repeatability department (but those would be assumptions again and look where assumming stuff got me regarding these adapters in the first place!).

I won't be going the Leitax route though, I have already made the 'commitment' to two seperate af-chipped & exif programmable R-to-EOS adapters out of the Ukraine for each of my recently acquired Leica Lenses. Those would be a Summicron 50/f2 and a Elmarit 90/f2.8. Til the pokey international shipping methods involved come through, I've got them safely tucked away waiting for the chance to go out and play with my new toys. All I can say about the two lenses is that if they take pictures half as good as handling them feels, my pictures will be gorgeous and the limiting factor on any of my image's inherent quality is gonna rest with the guy behind the aperture ring and not the glass in front of it!

Yes! Lowly Tamron zoom mucking around my equipment bag - I'm talking about you!

Sorry Zeiss Pancolar 50/f1.8 - you're no longer my favorite anymore.

Your East German Bits wrapped around those nice optics can't hold a light next to either of my new Leica friends - probably ANY Leica R lens for that matter!

In time my adapters will arrive and I'll get some images posted to flikr to share, but for now they sit safely tucked away.

Richard in MIchigan

  :-) With tongue firmly planted in his cheek! :-)

I just posted an image of grass with an adapter, Leica R to Oly E3...the adapter with a new chip , focus confirmation, that works very nicely, though in the immediate/long run I will use the same lens on a Nikon with a leitax adapter when it arrives,

I believe that I will very slowly go the R to Nikon route with Leitax help, using a few carefully chosen R lenses..

Steve

Steve