[LRflex] Re: 80-200 f/4 Vario-Elmar

  • From: Thomas Schofield <tdschofield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:25:22 -0700 (PDT)

IIRC this lens initially came out for a short time as either a 3-cam or a
third-cam lens, before it was released as a ROM, so I am surprised if they say
it can't be converted.  Perhaps you would have to dig too deeply since it is a
zoom to remove the wiring harness, and the indelicacy of snipping is
inconcievable!  I also recall a CDI report that found it second to only one
other zoom in its range -- the 70-180 APO -- and beating out even the 70-200 L
and 80-200 ED f:2.8 glass of its competitors.

Tom Schofield
Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had been told the subject lens was one of only a few that couldn't be
converted from ROM to 3-cam but guess what, I was told wrong.

Last week I bought a cosmetically-challenged but optically and mechanically
perfect 80-200 ROM. I've got a couple of R bodies but as most of you know
it's the SL that makes my heart sing and ROM and the SL is a no-go
combination.

So, what prompted this insanity? Aside from the very favorable price, it
was an ebay item I saw a few months ago: a damaged 80-200 ROM lens. The
photos of the lens showed that the lens mount was gone and on the inner
aperture control ring, where the Leicaflex metering cams are mounted, are
screw holes in exactly the right position to mount the cams.

Armed with a Leicaflex-compatible flange, a couple of Leicaflex metering
cams and a set of screwdrivers I started taking my "new" lens apart and
found that, lo and behold, the screw holes are indeed present and they're
spaced and threaded perfectly for the cams.

This conversion isn't exactly reversible 'cuz I had to snip the flex circuit
to remove the ROM contacts but I'm not worried, I don't intend to ditch the
SL any time soon.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com