[LRFlex] Re: 60mm Macro-Elmarit f/2.8 -- so sharp it bleeds

  • From: Ornello Pederzoli <ornellopederzoli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:00:06 -0700 (PDT)

Though I don't own one, I have used one. It is indeed a very fine lens. Why
does this surprise you? Everything Leitz makes is top-notch.

Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:"Peter M. C. Choy"
wrote:

>Totally! I'm still in the honeymoon
> period with my newly-acquired SL2 (ancestor
> to your R6) and 60mm Macro Elmarit.
> Impressive ability to isolate a subject
> against a creamy out-of-focus background.
> Outstanding color rendition as well. I
> read somewhere that the optical design
> is from the 1930s -- imagine that.

>--- Karen Nakamura wrote:
>> I've just gotten back my first roll taken with my
>> new (used) R6 and
>> 60mm Macro-Elmarit.
>>
>> YOUCHERS!
>>
>> I haven't seen a lens this sharp in ages. Everything
>> taken with it is
>> super crisp in the plane of focus -- and creamy
>> smooth bokeh
>> otherwise.
>>
>> What a great lens!

I'm in total agreement with the above. One of my most heinous photographic
crimes has been under-utilization of any lens shorter than 280mm, the 60 macro
among them.

Here are a couple of my fav photos made with the 60 Macro:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/land/barley.jpg
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/land/towercreek.jpg

This scan of the foxtail barley doesn't do justice to the colors in the slide.

AFAIK the 60's design is derived from the Gauss optical formula which may date
from before the 1930s. 50 'crons and 'luxes are also derived from the basic
Gauss formula as are many 'normal' lenses, as well as the early 90mm Elmarit-R.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm