[LRFlex] Re: 20D Question

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:51:29 -0800

Art Tafil said:

>>We're getting charged a premium price for single-purpose lenses so now we can
>>all buy, (and carry around), two sets of lenses so that we can use both
>>digital and film bodies.

Talk about GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY, the Harvard MBA's have struck again!!<<,

Art,
Not on your life! Simply because if we use you're line of thought it means
"WE'RE THE DUMMIES FOR BUYING INTO THIS KIND OF LOGIC!" Surely one would give
some photographers the brains God gave us not to buy two sets of lenses! Unless
it was absolutely necessary!

However, yes we have Leica lenses, actually multi-multi thousands of dollars of
them and we're using them on a digital camera, my case a 20D at the moment,
Tina Manley way a head of the rest of us and doing super results on a high end
Canon. Nathan in Europe doing exactly the same thing as myself with a 20D and
blowing people away with a Leica-Canon digital combination! Dr. Steve
Barbour... it's like "WOW!"  With the same set-up!!

Isn't buying an R lens a single purpose lens if you own 3 M7's? And if you wish
to use a 50mm on both M & R you can only use them for single purpose use only
on each of those cameras and are you not screwed by the single purpose lens
theory also?

I see no marketing madness in this at all, I think we're, that is those who use
lots of Leica R lenses are damn lucky we can use the glass with the use of an
adapter and into the digital world now without waiting for Leica to actually
deliver workable  backs.... "at a reasonable price  sometime!" .... maybe this
year and then again the next after that?

Remember we waited 3 plus years for an R8 motor drive when we were told both
were coming out together.

>>>I mean that they are fine for digital sensors, since the sensor is in the
>>>center of the lens, but what we can infer from this, and the fact that
>>>Canon's digital lenses have a non-mountable lockout feature for film bodies,
>>>is that edge definition is JUNK!!<<<,,,,,

I'm sorry I have to ask you one question before I go any farther. Do you own
and or have you used this equipment for an extended period of time so you can
comment on actual use and not theory?

>>>This is food for serious thought guy's.<<<<<

BS!!!!!!  get the gear, use it, use it and one more time, use it again and see
for yourself! Damn, it works beautifully with Canon lenses and marvellously
with Leica lenses!

Art save your breath,  go take pictures as there's too many of us out here
shooting with the LEICANON and getting beautiful enlarged fine detail 13X19
prints every day! Under all kinds of lighting conditions! Good buddy you're
blowing in the wind! Have a nice day!

ted