[LRFlex] Re: 16~160mm f2.2 zoom lens!

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:29:58 +0100

Hi David!

Cong Rats!

Stunned mind want a picture, say,you in the posture of a fisherman, handling the zoom in your left paw on a hook and you next :)

Of course, pictures of the rear part is interesting.

Regards.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] 16~160mm f2.2 zoom lens!
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:01:19 -0800

Hi guys!

I have a new toy!  It's a 16~160mm f2.2 zoom lens!  No, I'm not kidding!

It's a Taylor Hobson Varotal 30, made in the UK, for use on a television camera. And it's huge! About 16" x 10" x 8", it weighs in at a mere 40 pounds, with another 10 pounds for the zoom and focus controls, which are cable mounted and can be up to 3' from the lens! There is even a 2x converter built in (you just flip a knob!), making it a 32~320mm f4.4, which still isn't bad!

It seems quite sharp, judging from the image it throws on a piece of paper. The focal plane is about 2.5 inches behind the rear element, so there is lots of space to put an adapter for my R8!

Unfortunately, the image circle appears to be about 1.2 inches in diameter, so it will cover the height but not the width of a 35mm frame. Would this image circle cover a DM-R or Canon 20D sensor? Enquiring minds, want to know!

Has anybody here had any experience adapting such a lens for 35mm use.

I'm told that, new, it cost approx US$ 35 to 45,000, but I got mine, surplus, from the local TV station for a CAD$25 (US$20) donation to their scholarship fund!

BTW: Lest you be inspired to rush over to your local station and ask for any surplus lenses, be aware of two things. (1) Most, more modern TV lenses focus virtually right behind the rear element (on a CCD), so there's no space for an adapter for a camera. Only the older lenses, made to focus through beam splitters to 3 or 4 tubes have the needed back focus. (2) I was asked, by the station, if I'd want one and I said 'Of course!' They said 'fine', and promised me the next one available. To their credit, they remembered, for that discussion was 14 years ago! I got the lens last week! At the price, they don't discard them very often!

Over the next few months, I'm going to try to adapt it to the Leica, just for fun! I'll keep the group posted. :-)

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm