[LRFlex] Re: 16~160mm f2.2 Zoom lens....

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 07:23:31 -0800

Cheng wrote:

Then you will need 1.24016737" circle for the DM-R's sensor!

Cheng in Fredericton, NB Canada

Hi Cheng!

Well, I do believe that the lens will cover either digital sensor, without noticeable vignetting! However, what the resolution, especially in the corners, will be won't be known until the deed is done!

It seems, however, that with a digital sensor, it will be the equivalent to a 22~220mm f2.2 or a 43~438 f4.4 zoom!

My question now, is regarding it's use with a 35mm frame. Using the 2x converter, the image circle expands to just only cover the 35mm frame. Ignoring light fall off, resolution, etc., the question remains. With the 2x converter engaged, the field of view is not reduced, as the sensor (film) area is larger. So, it should still be, to my mind, a 16mm to 160mm zoom as the angle of view is what it would of been, had it been on it's original sensor (a 1" Plumicon tube). However, because the 2x is engaged, is it now an f4.4 lens, or does the fact that the light is reduced compensated by the larger sensor (film) area make it still an f2.2 lens?

I can't seem to get my head wrapped around that one!

All help appreciated.  Art... are you listening?

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm