[LRflex] 07.07.07 Lucky... or not?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:05:46 -0700

All:

I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but yesterday was the
busiest day for marriages, in Canadian history.  The reason was the
date... 07.07.07 ... with seven, of course, being a lucky
number.  Having such an auspicious date fall on a Saturday, did the trick!

I was not among the crowd, opting to spend my day by a slough, near
Tunkwa Lake, which is, in turn, nearby Logan Lake.

The day was warm, but not too warm (77 degrees in the USA, 25
everywhere else)... just right for a pleasant day by the water,
enjoying the mosquitoes!

I've been trying, for a couple of years to get two birds onto silicon.

The first is the Yellow Headed Blackbird.  They like to perch in the
reeds, and it's very tough to [a] get close enough and [b] get a
clear shot.  Perhaps I should take Doug's kayak for a spin!  After
about 2 hours of patient waiting, one finally flew to a broken off,
dried reed, and perched for just long enough to squeeze off one
shot.  Although it looks great on the screen, my focus was off by a
hair, and I needed to apply a little more sharpening than I'd like.

Still,  I liked the shot .. who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/YH-Blackbird.htm

The second is the Ruddy Duck.  These interesting fellows, like the
Blackbirds,  like to swim among the reeds, with their heads rapidly
bobbing up and down.  Again, I've spent two summers trying to get a
clear shot of one.  Yesterday, I succeeded, but despite underexposing
1/2 stop to prevent blowing the highlights,  the white feathers,
below the eye, were blown.  I've done what I can to correct it and I
like the shot, but...

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/ruddy.htm

So, with one slightly soft and the other with blown highlights... was
I lucky?  Or not?

Comments appreciated, as always.