Re: What's wrong with this shot?

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:18:21 -0700

David:
This is nicely composed, a good pose well lit. However, the jay's neck and head aren't individual feather-sharp in the online image. Looks like subject movement - and with the jerky motions of jays, that's no surprise.

Tack-sharpness isn't always necessary. In a wildlife portrait, though, usually you want it for the head and eyes.

The jay appears unsharp in the 'fall colours' image too (extreme crop, or just downsizing for the Internet?), but I suspect the original with all the pixels IS sharp.

Mark

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com

At 08:14 AM 10/20/2007, you wrote:
Good Morning, all!

Along with my "fall colours" shot of a Blue Jay, I got several others.

This one has be bothered.

In common with many birds, the Blue Jay has a segmented ring around the eye. This feature is startlingly clear in the 8x12" print I have, even when examined at close range with a magnifying glass. So there is no question, the shot is in focus. Yet, there is something about the head (the body is fine) which continually looks "out of focus" to both Rose and I.

My questions:

1) Do others see this?

2) If yes, can anyone explain it? Or,

3) am I simply going nuts?

It's a pity that this problem should be there, for otherwise, I really like the image!

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/BluJay2.htm

Thanks for looking, and for your advice.

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA