Re: We're getting married here, but the Hopi might show up

  • From: Mark Bohrer <markbohrer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:30:24 -0700

Bob and Frank:
Nope, no HDR in any of the pictures at all. At 160-320 ISO, RAW .DNG or ..CR2 files SLIGHTLY over-exposed give me about a 3-5 - stop dynamic range. I'll bracket digital shots, but mainly for depth of field / sharp focus and steadiness. I don't bracket as much with the M8, since it manual-focuses much more accurately and has a lot less vibration than a dSLR.

Choosing exposure with a digital M8 can be similar to doing it with Ektachrome in an M3 or M7 or Canon F1n. I used a lot of slide film with older cameras, and learned to look for scenes with limited dynamic range. Or scenes with smaller details I didn't care about, and could either blow out or render black.

Chimping is a good tool for checking gross exposure, things like - did I use the last shot's exposure and blow out everything in this shot? Or did I forget to take off the lens cap and shoot a blank frame (M8)?

The histogram's dark-to-light tone graph shows you when the shot might have blown highlights or lost shadow detail. It's up to the shooter to know whether they're important to the picture. The blown highlight indicator will show where those highlights are in the picture in red or blinking white - again, if you can read your 2-3 inch LCD in bright sunlight.

I don't think there's a way around seeing like the camera does and using your head, M3 with Ektachrome or digital M8, chimping or no chimping.

Mark

Mark Bohrer
Active Light Photography
www.activelightphotography.com
Any Activity. Any Location. Your Story.

Bob Adler wrote:
Hi Frank,
I was responding to your original statement, "Now that is something we just can not do with film……" (i.e., chimping to ensure correct exposure). HDR with film is a lot of work! I've done it with 6x6:
http://raflexions.com/Gallery/content/Set01HDRI3from_JPBSP_Stream1c6500_8b_large.html
It can certainly work, but alignment of individual scans is not easy. The above was of 2 exposures; one for the highlights of the background forest, one for the shadows of the foreground trees. Notice the guy in the blue jeans, yellow shirt and red hat walking to the tree in one of the frames and letting loose in another... :-) But Mark didn't appear to use HDR and so my somewhat tounge-in-cheek response to "something we cannot do with film" (i.e., chimping to ensure the correct exposure is obtained) can be done by bracketing your exposures. This of course does not address the difference in dynamic range between film and digital, but I don't want to start a discussion down that path. Best,
Bob

Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.raflexions.com