Re: Photo laptop recommendations?

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:46:54 +0000

Douglas wrote:

Sit down and take a deep breath - here are the prices for putting together your very own custom built Warrior V
http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pricelists/nbwv_pricelist.htm
They left out the missile guidance systems, counter-espionage module, and self-destruct - although, from what you wrote, you already had that option (sorry ;-) ).

Why don't Apple do one like that? Very impressive!

I lugged over my G3 Pismo Powerbook and a 100Gb LaCie Porsche hard drive when we went to the LHSA gathering in Wetzlar recently. It was useful, but it's an awful of of kit - particularly if you're travelling by air. As I drove over, it wasn't a major problem.

What I did see at the Leicaschule was the Apacer Disc Steno, which Ralph Hagenauer was using to download our first efforts with the new M8.

This will burn to disc directly (and reliably) from a variety of cards in the field using battery power, and also doubles up as a perfectly respectable USB CD burner when you get home.

I got the first version (CP100) very cheaply on ebay and am very pleased with it.. You can also see the later version at:

 http://www.jobodigital.com/products/disc_steno_cp100.htm

The CP200's main feature is that it can bridge discs - very useful of you're downloading a 2 or 4Gb card.

The main thing is that it's much smaller and lighter than a laptop, very simple to use and highly reliable. And, of course, you can always post yourself a set of backup CDs just in case...

Unless you have some good reason for doing your post-production in the field, it's a pretty good (and cheap) alternative. For Macs, BTW, you'll need Toast 5 Titanium or better. Works fine.

Best

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst