Re: New Orleans wedding

  • From: "Carl Socolow" <csocolow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:45:52 -0400

Chris,

The last two photos that I saw on the opening page- where the bride is viewed
from behind- are really beautiful abstractions. The forms are beautiful,
ethereal. I think if I were working them in Photoshop I might strive to bring
out some of the textures in the fabrics a little bit more. I worked every fold
of fabric in this picture:

http://www.socphoto.com/jsgmf2006/pages/MO2005_R17_29_Raw3d_Final.htm

and this one:

http://www.socphoto.com/jsgmf2006/pages/MO_0605_09_27_8_Final.htm

Indeed, I darken and lighten and build form in just about every photo I work on
now. If you look at paintings by the masters you'll see how much emphasis they
devoted to constructing form.

Also, (this may fall under the rubric of personal esthetic) I think I might
have worked my curves so that I have just a glimmer of close to pure white; a
couple pixels here and there at around 245-250 just to give it a sparkle. That
said, I'm always amazed at photographers who can successfully pull off their
prints printing flat. Or dark, like Roy DeCarava.

Carl Sander Socolow