Re: Nathan's PAD 10/05/2009: beach, the M8 and road rash

  • From: Mark Bohrer <markb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:40:33 -0700

Nathan:
I have several places on arms and shoulders where the skin doesn't pigment anymore, due to excessive road rash from bike crashes. Also have knee scars from an unscheduled flight over the handlebars and resulting knee surgery. That was from cranking downhill and catching a pedal on an oncoming car's wheel well, in the days I was riding 80-100+ miles a week.

One way to avoid future one-brake falls is to switch the rear brake cable to the left-hand lever. You'll need to practice your brake balancing, but left-hand braking will stop your rear wheel only. That means no more unscheduled flights over the handlebars from one-handed lockups of your front wheel.

I'd consider a crop to the upper left corner of your image, or an upper half panoramic. There's a lot of dead space below left of the handlebars.

And take it easy on that bike!

Mark

--
Mark Bohrer
Active Light Photography

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
We went for a bicycle ride along the beach yesterday. As always on those occasions, the M8 was around my neck with the widest lens I own mounted on it (the 18mm Zeiss), set for f8 and hyperfocal distance. I would photograph while riding. I have done this on several earlier occasions. However, yesterday I discovered a couple of things:

- when you brake hard with just the left hand on the handlebar, the results are not good ;-) - the M8 is as sturdy as earlier M cameras (I did protect it when going down, but the baseplate hit the bicycle and the ground, albeit not that hard)
- road rash hurts but is curable with single malt

http://www.greatpix.eu/gallery/4253606_netUM#533527099_VbMuz-O-LB

When we came home, I put the 75mm on the M8, set it at f2.5 and took some close-ups of my medicine cabinet (aka the rack of single malts in our living room) to make sure the rangefinder was not knocked out of alignment. It was fine.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
_http://www.frozenlight.eu <http://www.frozenlight.eu/>_