RE: Interesting Effects - Multiple Exposure

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:08:27 -0800

Hi Guys,

OK here's one way to make this work like a dream. :-) Well OK sometimes. :-)

Motor driven Leica R with the film advance button locked down right under
the advance leaver. Camera obviously on good solid tripod.

ASA worked out for whatever number of exposures you wish to make.You do that
by picking an ASA higher than what film you have in the camera. Divide by
whatever it takes to get the correct reading as though you haven't pushed
the film.

If you pick 1600 for an ASA 100 film you shoot 4 frames ticky ticky ticky
ticky one on top of the other without the film going anywhere and you don't
touch the camera itself, but use a cable release. Or if you live dangerously
as I do, you gently touch the motor drive release 4 times!

In other words the film is pushed 4 stops 100 to 1600:100-
(200-400-800-1600.)

Now that's film camera R8 and not digital. As I don't know how the digital
camera, any of them would work in laying a bunch of exposures one on top of
each. Or in correct terms, making a multiple exposure on the same frame!

If you do this with a zoom lens it becomes quite wild as each frame is made
you very slightly adjust the zoom to bigger or smaller coverage, shoot, do
it again. Until you've exposed the correct number of times.

Now if I could only find some flower stuff I shot several years ago using
this method I'll post them. The real secret to this is figuring out the ASA
to numbers of exposures required for an overall correct exposure.

Trust me, one can make all kinds of neat effects with this type of exposure
playtime.

ted