IMG: Berlin - some modern and inhuman architecture

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:59:13 +0200

Hello all,

some more shots of Berlin form the day after we met the Hoppies (GeofF and Bron Hopkinson from Australia).

Mostly shot in rotten weather - it rained nearly all day - so they look better (IMO) in black and white.

A stallholder on the Sunday fleamarket in the centre of Berlin resolutely waiting for the rain to stop
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9836.jpg.html

Tiergarten S-Bahn station in the rain
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9841.jpg.html

The top level of the new station
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9843.jpg.html

Inside the station
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9845.jpg.html

The new station is incredibly modern, lots of metal and glass, and on four levels. My knees turn to jelly when I look over the balustrade to see the platforms of the lowest level about 40 metres below.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9847.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9849.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9850-Edit.jpg.html

A most confusing place, if you are in a hurry to catch a train you have no chance of finding out where it is, but at least you can watch it leaving without you

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9851-Edit.jpg.html

Almost on the ground floor that leads out to the River Spree and the federal government quarter

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9854.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9856.jpg.html

I get the impression it wasn't built for people - the perspectives are somehow alien and the lighting is all wrong,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9858-Edit.jpg.html

and trains coming in over your head don't make it better
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9859.jpg.html

It even looks threatening from outside

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9872.jpg.html

The neighbourhood is pretty desolate too

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9880.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9882.jpg.html

But, sometimes, you get a touch of the old fashioned like this,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9886.jpg.html

and a view across to the East German lollipop on Alexander Platz

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/LUG_BERLIN/LUG_Berlin__MG_9890.jpg.html

Cheers
Douglas

begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1