[leasbirds] Endangered Species Day

  • From: "Robert C. Lee" <robertclee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 13:22:12 -0500

Never knew this was defined until today. I was fortunate to have hands-on experience with many Endangered & Threatened Species in my career: Bald Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, West Indian Manatee, American Alligator, Loggerhead Turtle, Green Turtle, Atlantic Ridley Turtle, Hawksbill Turtle, Leatherback Turtle, Dusky Seaside Sparrow, Eastern Indigo Snake, Atlantic Saltmarsh Snake.
Here are a couple pics I found. The Indigo was 8’2” & 13 pounds. Merritt Island NWR
The Dusky was one of the few males still alive in the wild. All females were killed  in about 1976(?) when a wildfire swept the nesting grounds during the peak of incubation. Saint Johns NWR.

JPEG image

JPEG image