[lanse] Re: Wireless networking

  • From: "Michael Knowles" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:20:55 +0100

> I had tele2 come and do a line of sight test but they reckoned they
couldn't
> get a signal.  I'm on the limit of the Uxbridge transmitter (it's on
> Hillingdon hospital apparently) plus I live in a bungalow and am
surrounded
> by trees.  Not the best situation for tele2 really.  Kind of dissapointing
> as they were my last chance for getting broadband in the near future.

I was almost in the same situation Chris, NTL have cabled the street
adjacent to mine (and it costs 16,000 quid to get them to cable a street, so
can't see that happening in the near future), and BT have ADSL-enabled my
exchange but although i'm only 2.2Km's from the exchange as the crow flies,
they've trunk-cabled Bracknell in a very roundabout manner and it turns out
i'm only likely to be about 10Km's as the cable travels :-( so Tele2 it was
(plus lots of money out of the account).

> I'd be interested in the equipment they use for tele2 - ie things like
what
> frequency it's on.  It occured to me I might be able to use a yagi or even
> dish to get a better signal.  Doubt tele2 would let me have one of their
> speedboxes to play with though.

I've got a "speedbox" (sorry, can't help but laugh at that name, it reminds
me of Concorde), which connects to the aerial on the side of my house via
some RG58 cable.  The aerial is basically a small lunchbox strapped to a
pole.

> Do you know if there is reciever electronics in the 'aerial'?  That
speedbox
> thing looked pretty small when I saw it.  Any idea what frequency they are
> on?  Any other kit that can use that frequency?

I would say there's electronics in both sides of the kit.  The speedbox is
32x20x6cm, and the aerial lunchbox is only about 50% smaller than that.
The frequency is their own, granted to them by the government, and it's in
the GHz wavelength IIRC (I was interviewed for the position of Network
Manager for Tele2 in Jan - shame I didn't get the job).

Cheers,
Mike.