[lanse] Various XP tweaks

  • From: Jason Halls <jason.halls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'list@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:42:15 +0100

I've spent an hours or so this morning looking for tweaks and bug fixes for
my system. . . .

I thought some of you might find these useful.

Post comments.

(I take no responsibility for any unpleasant ness should any of these not
work)

Shutdown XP Faster
When a user shuts down Windows XP, first the system has to kill all services
currently running.  Every once in a while the service does not shut down
instantly and windows gives it a change to shut down on its own before it
kills it.   This amount of time that windows waits is stored in the system
registry. If you modify this setting, then windows will kill the service
earlier.  To modify the setting, follow the directions below:

Start Regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.
Click on the "Control" Folder.
Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"
Right click on it and select Modify.
Set it a value lower than 2000 (Mine is set to 200).

Get Rid Of Pesky Un-Signed Driver Installation Warnings

Many new drivers aren't signed by Microsoft so WinXP will warn you or even
prevent you from installing new drivers for a device. To prevent this
warning or to allow new un-signed drivers to be installed do the following:

1. Go to start/run/ then type secpol.msc
2. Browse to local policies/security options
3. Change "Devices: Unsigned driver installation behavior" setting to
Silently succeed.
4. Reboot Computer.

KaZaA termination fix (Easier tweak)

OK...I hope the last tweak worked..anyways, I found it a bit uneasy
everytime to right-click and select "Run-As...", so heres another tweak by
which this can be made a wee-bit easier..

1. Right-click on KaZaA's shortcut and select "Properties".
2. Now click on "Advanced".
3. A new window will pop-up, just select "Run with different Credentials"
and click on "OK".
4. Click OK again on the "Properties" window, and you're done!

The next time that you double-click on the shourtcut, Windows will ask you
which user account to use to run the program, just make sure that the
"Current User" is selected and the "Protect my computer and data from
unauthorized program activity" is checked.

Network Interface Card Memory Tweak

1. Right Click on My Comp.
2. Then Properties
3. Device Manager or Hardware
4. View Resources by connection
5. Find the number IRQ of your NIC that uses the internet. (NIC meaning
Network Interface Card). REMEMBER THAT NUMBER!!!
6. Then Click Run
7. Type Sysedit in the box and return
8. 4 or 5 boxes will appear, highlight the system.ini box
9. Under the [386enh] add the following exactly..
10. Irq[n]=4096, where "[n]" is the number irq of your network card. 4096 is
the recommended ram to reserve in kilobytes.
11. So it will look something like this Irq10=4096.
12. Save changes in the file and reboot for effect...

This tweak was from the help of www.speedguide.net. Some people with a cpu
of over 500MHz had an increase of only up to 10%. Therefore it is a
controversial tweak thats talked about. Hence, most likely they would be
online gamers.

Be sure NOT to overdue the amount of ram because it will have little or no
effect at all. Most of you probably won't notice much effect anyway but it's
worth a try. This tweak is assumingly okay for all Windows users. Afterward,
go to www.dslreports.com to test your internet throughput and see what they
recommend to change your RWIN. (It's under the link of dslrtools on thier
homepage).

Can't connect to computers in your network?

This may not solve everyone's problem with networking, but this is one way
to fix a problem if you can't connect to users' computer.

1. Click start button

2. Click "My Network Places"

3. Right-click and click on "Properties"

4. Right-click on "Local Area Connection" and click on "Properties"

5. click on the "Authentication" tab

6. Uncheck "Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1X"

7. Click "OK"

Speeding Up Share Viewing

When you connect to another computer with Windows XP, it checks for any
Scheduled tasks on that computer - a fairly useless task, but one that can
add up to 30 seconds of waiting on the other end - not good! Fortunately,
it's fairly easy to disable this process.

First, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current
Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace
in the Registry. Below that, there should be a key called
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. Just delete this, and after a
restart, Windows will no longer check for scheduled tasks - major
performance improvement!

Diskcache problem

In the "Accelerate Your WinXP by Speeding Diskcache" section, there are some
questions as follows;

Diskcache plays a very important role in WinXP. However, the default I/O
pagefile setting of XP is conservative, which limits the performance. Some
better values for different RAM are given below.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management\IoPageLockLimit];
3. modify the value in Hex depending on the size of your RAM:
RAM: modified value(Hex)
64M: 1000;
128M: 4000;
256M: 10000;
512M or more: 40000.
4. reboot.

The above values should be

64M: 1000; -------> 800000
128M: 4000; ------> 1000000
256M: 10000; -----> 2000000
512M or more: 40000. ---> 4000000

 CDFS Tweaks

Howdy all........Whats the one thing we hate most when copying something
from CD, for me at least, is the speed in which the data is copied.

After many months of research, I have found what I consider the best CDFS
settings to have, and my DVD drive never copied so good ;)

Here is the changes that must be made

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\CDFS

Look for that registry key, if not there, we must create a new key, then add
the following values

CacheSize, this must be added as a binary value, then type in this value: ff
ff 00 00

Prefetch, this key must be added as a DWORD value, then type in this value:
4000 hex

PrefetchTail, this key must be added as a DWORD value, then type in this
value: 4000 hex

After that tweaking, try copying something across from CD, and you will
notice it does produce a speed boost, but it becomes apparent after a while
of using this tweak, you may or may not see it at first.

Disable Debug Scripting in Internet Explorer

Don't you hate it when you are browsing a page it asks you "Would you like
to debug this page?" Well here's a nifty and easy way to turn it off.

Right Click on Internet Explorer and Click Properties
----- or -----
Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools | Internet Options

Click The "Advanced" Tab

The 4th Item in "Browsing" should say "Disable Script Debugging"

Check it and you are all set! Enjoy a Debug-Free Browsing experience.

Turn off Indexing to speed up XP

Windows XP keeps a record of all files on the hard disk so when you do a
search on the hard drive it is faster. There is a downside to this and
because the computer has to index all files, it will slow down normal file
commands like open, close, etc. If you do not do a whole lot of searches on
your hard drive then I suggest turnning this feature off:

1. Open my computer
2. Right click your hard drive icon and select properties.
3. At the bottom of the window you'll see "Allow indexing service to index
this disk for faster searches," uncheck this and click ok.
4. A new window will pop up and select apply to all folders and subfolders.
It will take a minute or two for the changes to take affect but then you
should enjoy slightly faster performance.

Clean your prefetch to improve performance.

This is an unique technique for WinXP. We know that it is necessary to wash
registry and TEMP files for Win9X/ME/2000 periodly. Prefetch is a new and
very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the
prefetch directory can get full of junk and obsolete links in the Prefetch
catalog, which can slow down your computer notablely. My suggestion is: open
C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete those junk and obsolete
files,reboot. It is recommended that you do this every month.

Improve NTFS Performance

The NTFS file system is the recommended file system because of its
advantages in terms of reliability and security and because it is required
for large drive sizes. However, these advantages come with some overhead.
You can modify some functionality to improve NTFS performance as follows:

1. Disable creation of short names. By default, NTFS generates the style of
file name that consists of eight characters, followed by a period and a
three-character extension for compatibility with MS-DOS and Microsoft(r)
Windows(r) 3.x clients. If you are not supporting these types of clients,
you can turn off this setting by changing the default value of the
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation registry entry (in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem) to 1.

2. Disable last access update. By default NTFS updates the date and time
stamp of the last access on directories whenever it traverses the directory.
For a large NTFS volume, this update process can slow performance. To
disable automatic updating, change the value of the
NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate registry entry (in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContolSet\Control\Filesystem) to 1. If the
entry is not already present in the registry, add it before setting the
value. (Add it as a REG_DWORD)

3. Reserve appropriate space for the master file table. Add the
NtfsMftZoneReservation entry to the registry as a REG_DWORD in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. When you add
this entry to the registry, the system reserves space on the volume for the
master file table. Reserving space in this manner allows the master file
table to grow optimally. If your NTFS volumes generally contain relatively
few files that are typically large, set value of this registry entry to 1
(the default). Typically you can use a value of 2 or 3 for moderate numbers
of files, and 4 (the maximum) if your volumes tend to contain a relatively
large number of files. However, be sure to test any settings greater than 2
because these higher values cause the system to reserve a much larger
portion of the disk for the master file table.

Reboot after making changes.

Kazaa Max Search Results Tweak.

1. Run regedit.
2. Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Kazaa/Advanced
3. Open MaxSearchResult
4. Enter value data as 190

You now have a maximum search result of 400 instead of the usual 100!
Note: You can fiddle with the value data to change the max search results,
but 190 is the best setting.

Office XP -Disable Error Reporting

Office XP has a feature to report program errors to Microsoft. If you wish
to disable this feature that sends data to Microsoft, put the text below
into a .reg file and import it into the registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common]
"DWNeverUpload"=dword:00000001
"DWNoExternalURL"=dword:00000001
"DWNoFileCollection"=dword:00000001
"DWNoSecondLevelCollection"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common]
"DWNeverUpload"=dword:00000001
"DWNoExternalURL"=dword:00000001
"DWNoFileCollection"=dword:00000001
"DWNoSecondLevelCollection"=dword:00000001

Setting File permissions on XP Home

There's a tweak listed on the site for getting XP Pro security settings on
XP Home. It's good, but I've found an easier way to set sharing permissions
on folders. You can use the GUI instaed of the more complicated command line
without having to go into safe mode.

1. Click on the start button
2. Then run
3. Type shrpubw
4. Chose the folder whose permissions you want to change and give the share
a name
5. Click next, now you can chose custom if you want to have full options.