[lanse] Suggestions?

  • From: "Jamie Elliott" <Jamie.Elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'lanse list'" <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:05:20 +0100

All,

I have recently been playing with my machine a bit more then normal, having
it running pretty much constantly even when I?m at work (VPN dial in
enabled)

Because I have been around my machine more than normal I have noticed
something that I find quite strange.  Heat comes with overclocking, we all
know that.  My machine is nothing earth breaking, just a 1Ghz Axia ?Y? T?
Bird clocked to 1.4 topped with the best (at the time) thermo-engine
availiable.  The case is spacious enough, and every available fan mounting
inside is fitted with 80mm YS Tech fans.  The attached picture shows roughly
the configuration of the case.

The machine idle?s in windows at around 50 degrees, which I?m not sure is
good or bad.  I only know that 70 is breaking point, and that I don?t really
need to worry until about 62.  I have noticed now however, because my work
makes the CPU usage 100% all the time, that the CPU runs about 57 sometimes
reaching 58.  When the machine is under FULL load it is normally running
like that for 8+ hours without ANY break.  This difference is small you
might say for the conditions ?m putting it in, an 8 degree rise for constant
FULL load isn?t bad.  Well that?s just it, is it bad or not.  It seems
pretty hot to me for the amount of fans that are in the case, at a count
there are 8 fans in there all working together (some sucking, some blowing)
even a fan directly sucking air off the CPU out the case.

So, what I?m asking is this.  Firstly what temp should it be running at?
Both under FULL load and idle.  And secondly can anyone suggest any methods
I might use to get the temp down a bit, would making the fan by the process
blow across the heat sink be a better idea?  Anything really would be
appreciated. Really at the moment I?m just worried about leaving my machine
running while I?m at work, it has motherboard monitor installed and
configured to monitor everything it can in the case.  It is also set to
forcefully shut the machine down should the temperature get to 70 degrees,
it does this in about 6 seconds!  All this considered I still don?t want my
machine to go pop and die so information would put my mind at ease.

Cheers.

Regards,

Jamie Elliott
Customer & Network Support Engineer