[lanse] Re: LANSE sublet - comments please

  • From: "Michael Knowles" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:05:34 +0100

> why oh why has management asked me to take our linux/samba fileserver that
has up time in excess of 300days. Never gets more than 10% utilization.
> Basically gathers dust and does its job brilliantly.
> And move it on to 2000.
>
> when quizzed .. they say "we are a microsoft house".
>
> \gripe off

...because it simplifies support costs (not having to pay engineers for UNIX
support knowledge) and because Microsoft are buggering about with their
licensing and SMB encoding in order to make it harder and harder for Samba
et al to create products.

Mike.