[lanse] Re: Intranet fileplanet script

  • From: "Michael Knowles" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:22:22 +0100

I was using Win2K advanced server.  It was only a 200Mhz PII box with 256Mb
RAM and the load-balancing is built-in (....which was nice).  It also gave
you the ability to run a WINS/DNS/DHCP server without much thought.

Actually, with 2 network cards the drive array becomes a bottleneck and it
does as well if you go up to a single FDDI card so there's not THAT much
free capacity on the drive array.  This is why I RAID 10'd the drive array
(as well as because most of the operations were file GETs).

Incidentally, you may want to try a round-robin DNS to load-balance the
Apache requests.  That's the simplest way of doing it.

Mike.