[lanse] Re: Intranet fileplanet script

  • From: "Michael Knowles" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:58:18 +0100

As Kerr's said, so long as the network's properly arranged bandwidth
shouldn't be an issue.  The backplane is the point to watch.

Actual gameplay uses very very little bandwidth, as the packet sizes are
extremely small.  It's latency that's the issue.  A properly designed
network with adequate switching will cope without batting an eyelid.  We
actually had a RAID 10 fileserver with dual 100mb/s network cards pumping
out to clients on the same network that was running games with nobody even
noticing what was going on.

Cheers,
Mike.