[lanse] Best OS for gaming

  • From: "Chris Green" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lanse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:34:50 +0100

Hey all

Well it has been very quiet on here so far, so here goes with the first
post.

I'm in the process of reinstalling all my machines here. I have three
desktop PCs (two in my study and one downstairs) and my laptop. At
present these all run WinXP Pro, except for the laptop with runs WinXP
Home. I also have three servers (1 file server, 2 games servers) all
running Win2K Server.

The servers are staying as is, but for the desktop PCs I have the choice
of Win98 2nd Edition, Win2k Pro or WinXP Pro. The trouble is I can't
decide which is the best for gaming. All three machines are used
extensively for gaming as I often run mini-LANs here at home (one is a
dual P3 1Ghz, one is an AthlonXP 1800+, the third a Celeron 1Ghz. The
laptop is a P3 933).

So any suggestions on which I should go for and why? I've pretty much
ruled out Win98 as I do think it is dire, and won't support dual
processor machines - but I have it there as an option. The real choices
are 2K or XP, but I just can't make my mind up.

Chris