[lanse] Re: Advice please guys

  • From: "Michael Knowles" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:53:55 +0100

Hi Khan,

Thankfully I got a full amount of outplacement when I was dumped by Nortel, so
I can explain a few things to you:

1) Agencies only account for 7% of jobs achieved by people
2) Adverts and speculative applications account for 30% roughly
3) The other 70% ish is taken up by your personal network of friends etc - e.g.
jobs for the boys.  This is one of the reasons why i've been pestering you guys
about jobs etc.
4) You shouldn't be looking for your friends/contacts to take your CV, but to
provide you with contacts that you can do the approach yourself.  This
dramatically widens your reach.
5) The job market is picking up - you're lucky.  I've had 4-5 interviews last
month, when I averaged one a month since Jan.

That should give you a little head start.  I'm also available for CV re-writing
for £50 a pop.

Cheers,
Mike.