[lano666] vecchie storie: m$ vs. Netscape

  • From: Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono <_lano_@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent <linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Lano666 <lano666@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:16:36 +0100

Magari qualcuno (come me) lo trova interessante.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 09 Dec 2002 11:52:15 -0500
From: Lyvim Xaphir <lxaphir@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Enlightenment-Users <enlightenment-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Geoffrey <esoteric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [e-users] Gnome 2.0 vs E

[...]
rather disturbing anology.  When M$ started bundling Internet Exploder
with winblows, Netscape suddenly and mysteriously started having crash
problems.  I had customer after customer complaining about not being
able to operate Netscape reliably.  However, on some older systems this
problem did not occur.  I noticed immediately that the problem was not
occuring on the systems that did not have Internet Exploder installed.

Furthermore, later on I made a practice of using Shane Brook's 98Lite
installer for winblows, and on those systems (where I had used 98Lite to
curtail Exploder installation) Netscape functioned flawlessly.  It
became clear to me at that time that M$ was making a concerted effort to
discredit (and kill) Netscape at the OS level by using dlls designed to
crash Netscape.  This infuriated me so much that it was at that time I
decided I would begin to take a personal hand in promoting the Linux
solution.  (Recently this has become much easier, as it is the
applications that primarily decide the outcome of this fight.)

Note that many users blamed Netscape for being unstable when in fact it
was M$ that was at fault.  It is difficult to explain such a thing to
user level peeps when other applications on the system are working
fine.  This was exactly the plan of the M$ monopoly and it worked
flawlessly.
[...]

--
"Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not after you"
                             . /\ °