[LandXML] Re: LandXml question spiral types 'cubic' and 'cubic Parabola' and 'rev'

  • From: "John Keays" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Eric Hall" <Eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:11:57 +1000 (EST)

To Eric,

Thanks for your comments.  Many of the Road Authorities and Railways
insist on spirals.  They are a required design option. The different
varieties produce different results so the survey setout programs must use
the same spiral formulas as in the design phase.  I have put all the
variations in my software just to conform to the various standards.  In
the pre computer days the spirals were developed by the earthworks
operators and they worked fine.

The Euler curve corresponds to moving the steering wheel in a constant
fashion as you go from the straight to the circular curve.  The exit is
the reverse.

Super elevation tries to get a balance between Coriolis force of the
circular arc and the cross slope of the road so that the weight of the
wheels acts perpendicular to the road surface at the design speed.
Typically the banked slopes at Indianapolis race track are set to keep the
cars from slipping at racing speeds.  When the car slows down the car
falls to the inside of the track.

In some TV shows on the race track they put a camera on the kerb line and
watch the cars go by. I get awe struck on how accurately the drivers hit
the mark on the race track.  But that's not how I drive.  I am Mr Magoo.
I need the extra space...  I would like to find somebody who has actual
driving stats on the freeboard issue in driving in a traffic lane.

Please add some more comments....

Cheers

John Keays

John said > Eric Hall
>>> Hi John,
>>> You made a couple of statements in your email that are not exactly
what
>>> I understand to be the case.
>>> In many cases, you can live without spirals in your roads. However,
there are many places, like British Columbia and other mountainous
areas
>>> where the extra widening room used on flat-land roads is not available
and spiral curves are a must. Typically, clothoid (Euler, Cornu)
spirals
>>> are used for road building... at least in the US and Canada. So,
spirals
>>> are very necessary in some road building applications.
>>> Sena's death was very sad. The bumps probably played a roll, but the
intense downforce created by the ground effects and the car possibly
bottoming out and the resultant loss of the ground effects all
conspired
>>> to send him off track. That is a pretty extreme situation though. It
isn't something that normal road designs have to account for.
>>> I don't know if race tracks use spirals, but the designs I have seen
typically don't. The driver will describe a spiral when turning into a
corner because there is no other way to turn a car (assuming tire slip
angles within the normal region). When you turn the steering wheel,
the
>>> resultant ground track is a spiral until the point where you stop
turning the wheel and hold it steady; then you are in an arc. This is
also true of normal driving of course. Some roads are designed with a
widened road width to allow for the driver to create their own spiral
entry when there is enough room to do so. Otherwise, a spiral curve
has
>>> to be designed in.
>>> Also, the spiral entry does not reduce the loads to 0 g. They may
reduce
>>> initial loads allowing them to build more slowly, but the final g load
is a function of the radius achieved and the speed of the vehicle.
(g's
>>> are fun on the track :) )
>>> Sorry, I am not trying to be nit picky. The main point was that
spirals
>>> are very necessary in some road building environments so you really
can't live without them (well, you and I can personally, but roads do
need them). They are avoided when possible because of the added
complexity, but with modern CAD and field data collectors, a lot of
the