[LandXML] Re: LandXML vertical angle clarification

  • From: "Yates, Kenneth W." <KWYATES@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <John.Halleck@xxxxxxxx>, "Kevin Murphy" <KMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:25:54 -0400

as a surveyor,
we maintain a "face" tag on each horizontal angular observation reading
from the theodolite.
The FACE attribute MUST be carried thru the data reduction of multiple
horizontal angle pointings.
The vertical angle (Zenith Angle) is easier to follow: 1 thru 180
implies "direct scope" and
180 thru 360 is "inverted scope". =20
I have never seen Modern electronic survey equipment output a negative
Zenith Angle.
A survey "Total Station" instrument is oriented either in "direct" or
"inverted" FACE for any of the three types of measurements it makes:
HzAngle, Zangle, SlopeDistance.
By the way, 270 degees Zenith is also at station-level (horizon)
We are currently attempting to create a XML that supports
raw-survey-readings for our survey notes...  from this rawsurveyXML we
can output LandXML without having to change the LandXML spec.
below is a snippet of the Zenith portion of our observation record:
please note that we glom all the zeniths together, regardless of the
"face"... then reduce the average to the direct face reading mode:
<vert-angle zenith=3D"86.635625">
<zenith-average zenith=3D"86.635625" stddev=3D"0.00261">
<zenith-sample zenith=3D"86.637778"/>
<zenith-sample zenith=3D"273.365556"/>
<zenith-sample zenith=3D"86.637778"/>
<zenith-sample zenith=3D"273.3675"/>