[LandXML] Re: LandXML vertical angle clarification

  • From: John Halleck <John.Halleck@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin Murphy <KMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:05:35 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Kevin Murphy wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:49:57 -0400
> From: Kevin Murphy <KMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, john.halleck@xxxxxxxx
> Cc: nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [LandXML] Re: LandXML vertical angle clarification
>
> John,
> With zero directly overhead and 90 degrees on the horizon, it should
> not matter
> what side of the instrument you stand on.  The horizon is  always at 90
> degrees.

  I realise this...
  But that is not what the description says.

  The description that Mr. Crews offers is in
  terms of "clockwise".  Which means, as a software developer,
  I'm free to have the horizon -90 degrees.

  Rewording it to say that it
    "Represents zenith angles with the 0 origin as straight
     up and measured such that the horizon is positive in the
     specified Angular Units"
  Would be closer to what I would expect in the official
  definition.