[LandXML] Re: LandXML and usage of <Feature> by each vendor

  • From: "Nathan Crews" <nathan.crews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Hugh Dixon'" <hugh.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:30:32 -0700

Hi Hugh,

Well, you mentioned one of the best ways to get things working - direct
communication.

Richard B. really knows his stuff and set me straigt early on in the LandXML
schema development. When applications get registered, we add that contact
information so we can forward questions like yours to the right vendor.

I am working on improved documentation that explains the details of the
elements and attributes, but that will still not answer your question as too
prefered geometry by specific applications.

I can say that tried and true line, curve and spiral geometry has served us
well. That is by far the most common CoordGeom data type. Adding support for
IrregularLines and Chains is much like handling the Line elements, so it is
pretty straight forward.

We will have a draft of improved documentation by March of 2006. After that
we depend on timely comments to round out the rough spots and fill in the
voids.

cheers,

Nathan