[LandXML] DesignCrossSectSurf in LandXML 1.1

  • From: Danijel Rebolj <danijel.rebolj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:34:08 +0200

Dear LandXML community,

Since we are strongly interested in (3D) object oriented road model, we're
very pleased with the LandXML 1.1 proposal. Already in 2002 we have proposed
to have the definitions of cross section elements in CrossSect rather then
in the GradeModel, where they've landed after lots of discussions. And now
we've got the DesignCrossSectSurfs in CrossSect! Great!

In general we find the new DesignCrossSectSurfs element very good, but there
are still some minor questions and proposals:

1.      area and volume of DesignCrossSectSurf can be easily calculated. To
have them as attributes can be a source of inconsistency. Is it neccesseary
to have them?
2.      Wouldn't it be more consistent to have an attribute named closedArea
in DesignCrossSectSurf instead of closedVolume? (But I agree, closedVolume
gives a better idea of the meaning of the DesignCrossSectSurf element.)
3.      Probably nobody has used ZoneCrossSectStructure in GradeModel,
therefore we suggest to delete it from Zone in 1.1. Otherwise it will only
lead to confusion and would decrease the clearness of the schema. Our
opinion is we should wipe out obsolete elements. Imagine how might the 8.7
schema look like otherwise.
4.      What is the schedule plan for 1.1 launching? (including 1.1 sdk)

Thanks to the developer team for the efforts and best regards to all
Danijel Rebolj

Dr. Danijel Rebolj
Professor of Construction and transportation informatics
Vice-dean, Head of the Construction IT Centre
University of Maribor, Faculty of Civil Engineering
Smetanova 17, SI-2000 Maribor, Slovenia
e_mail: Danijel.Rebolj@xxxxxxxxx,  <http://fg.uni-mb.si/>
http://fg.uni-mb.si/
Tel. : +386 2 229-4381, Fax.: +386 2 252-4179