[lally] Re: SPLA

  • From: remy <remy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lally@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:41:27 -0400

Hi Kumar,

It would seem that MicroSoft would have this information based on the tons of data they collect. T think another way to look at this would be in terms of finance. If I purchase a piece of software for $100 today and I am expected to upgrade the software for next 5 years at $20 per year, then I can determine the PV of the upgrades plus the $100. That would be the total PV of that piece of software. if I were going to lease it, I would want to make sure that the PV of the lease is equal to the PV of the purchase and the upgrades.

Remy

Hi folks,
Let me welcome you to the group by putting up a question which I have been struggling with for the past few days.

Many of you in the hi-tech world are probably aware that Microsoft has developed its Services Provider License Agreement (SPLA) to sell software on a pay as you use basis. this allows enterprises or web developers to subscribe for the software on a monthly basis as opposed to paying a huge upfront cost. The financial advantages are obvious to the consumers, they get to pay off the software costs as business operating expense as opposed to capital costs.

My question is around pricing. Microsoft says their software under SPLA is priced so that customers pay the same amount, over the life of the software,in paying on a monthly basis, as they would have paid upfront. Now, how does Microsoft or any other software developer be able to predict the life of a software when technology is changing so fast?

Does anyone have any idea what industry standards are? Does anyone have any idea on how software could be priced and packaged differently.

Any thoughts, insights will be appreciated.

--
Kumar Pandey
Chief Operations Officer