[Kids Together email newsletter] October 2011

  • From: "Kids Together, Inc." <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ktnewsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:34:19 -0400

Kids Together Email Newsletter

                    "promoting inclusive communities where all people belong"

                    OCTOBER 2011
                    This list consists of over 3000 people (and growing!)
                    Suggestions for newsletter items are welcome!

                    "Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has
found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings."
                    ~ Helen Keller ~

                    Petition for Medicaid Home and Community Supports
                    Keep people out of institutions and nursing homes and in
the community!
                    Only 9 Days Left to Reach the Goal! Have you signed?
                    http://wh.gov/4PD <<<< Sign here!

                    5,000 signatures are needed by October 28th to get an
Official White House Response for a petition created by Colleen Tomko of Kids
Together, Inc, on the newly formed White House "We the People" petition site.
The petition asks the administration to expand Medicaid, end the institutional
bias, and end waiting lists for people with disabilities and seniors. This was
written to continue the efforts from the "My Medicaid Matters" rally that took
place on the Capitol lawn on September 21st, in response to potential cuts to
Medicaid.  As of Wednesday Oct 19th over 1,500 have signed, but with only days
left to reach the 5,000 signatures needed to get an official response and keep
the petition up on the site, everyone's help is needed!

                    Cuts to Medicaid are being discussed by the congressional
super committee. If you support people with disabilities getting the services
they need in their homes and communities, which costs less than forcing them
into undesired institutional and nursing home care, then now is the time to
take action! Please, share, post everywhere and most importantly sign and get
others to sign! Don't wait, if not now, then when?

                    Once you go to the petition you will first be required to
register your email on the White House site, which is done to prevent fraud and
spam. A verification link will be emailed to you (check your spam folder) then
you click that link to complete the verification. You will be asked to enter a
new password twice, after it is accepted you can go to the petition again and
vote for it. Some have had to sign out and back in again for the vote button to
work.

                    Inclusion Conference
                    Hurry! Still Time to Register! Limited Hotel Rooms Still
Available!!
                    PEAC Pennsylvania Education for All Coalition
                    1st Annual Eastern Pennsylvania Inclusion Conference,
Philadelphia PA
                    Discounted room rates extended to October 24th!
                    http://www.paedforall.org/conference

                    Don't miss PEAC's upcoming Inclusion Conference on November
6th through 8th!  It's a fantastic opportunity for everyone to learn the newest
information, how-to's, and best practices on School Inclusion. Learn more about
best practices in education and advocacy, early intervention, and lots of
opportunities to network! Great price, great hotel and Philly attractions
nearby!

                    Two internationally inclusion-right speakers Norman Kunc
and Keith Jones will be keynote presenters, plus 60 break out sessions!
Download brochure, register online!
                    >> Click here for more conference info

                    Apps for Children with Special Needs (a4cwsn)
                    Read reviews and see video demos of apps before you buy!
                    http://www.a4cwsn.com/

                    Videos that demonstrate how products designed to educate
children with disabilities and build their life skills really work from a user
perspective. The aim is that these videos, along with relevant information and
advice from an independent source you can trust, will provide valuable insight
into whether a product is suitable for its intended purpose or not, enabling
sensible buying decisions to be made.
                    >>> Click here to visit site

                    Department of Education Releases Policy Clarifications
                    Physical Education and Extracurricular Athletics
                    for Students with Disabilities

                    Press Release from the National Consortium on Physical
Education and Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities (www.NCPERID.org)

                    Just in time for the new school year, the Office of Special
Education Programs in the U.S. Department of Education (Department) has issued
an important policy clarification document that will have positive impacts on
physical education programming for students with disabilities.  “Creating Equal
Opportunities for Children and Youth to Participate in Physical Education and
Extracurricular Athletics” is an official initial response by the Department to
the June 2010 U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO-10-519) report that
found “despite legislation obligating states and schools to provide equal
access, opportunities for physical activity are limited for children and youth
with disabilities.”  The August 2011 report addresses the GAO recommendation
that “the Secretary of Education facilitate information sharing among states
and schools on ways to provide opportunities in [physical education] PE and
extracurricular athletics to students with disabilities.”  >>> Read full policy
guide - 24 pages pdf  -here

                    National Inclusive Schools Week 2011
                    December 5-9, 2011
                    Find Out How to Celebrate! Get Ready!
                    http://inclusiveschools.org/inclusive-schools-week/

                    Download free Inclusive Schools Network materials that
schools and communities used in planning past Celebrations, that you can use to
promote awareness about the importance of inclusive educational practices
year-round in your own school and community.

                    Inclusive Schools Week is an annual event sponsored by the
Inclusive Schools Network (ISN) at Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC),
which is held each year during the first week in December. Since its inception
in 2001, Inclusive Schools Week has celebrated the progress that schools have
made in providing a supportive and quality education to an increasingly diverse
student population, including students who are marginalized due to disability,
gender, socio-economic status, cultural heritage, language preference and other
factors. The Week also provides an important opportunity for educators,
students and parents to discuss what else needs to be done in order to ensure
that their schools continue to improve their ability to successfully educate
all children.>>> read more

                    Rationale for and Research on Inclusive Education
                    Fall 2011- Working Draft - Updated Quarterly
                    National Center on Inclusive Education
                    at the Institute on Disability, University of New Hampshire
                    http://www.iod.unh.edu/NCIE/Research%20Document%20Long.pdf
(10 page pdf)

                    "Inclusive education is characterized by presumed
competence, authentic membership, full participation, reciprocal social
relationships, and learning to high standards by all students with disabilities
in age-appropriate general education classrooms, with supports provided to
students and teachers to enable them to be successful. This document summarizes
seminal policy statements, research, and other sources that demonstrate the
positive outcomes of inclusive education for students with autism and other
developmental disabilities." >>> read more

                    No studies conducted since the late 1970s have shown an
academic advantage for students with intellectual and other developmental
disabilities educated in separate settings (Falvey, 2004).

                    The Parent Side (tm)
                    T-shirts, cards, magnets mugs, stickers & more!
                    It's a campaign for inclusion and against exclusion!
                    http://www.theparentside.com

                    Products that promote inclusion and acceptance of
diversity. Gifts for parents, teachers, self-advocates and others! Mugs, tote
bags, buttons, posters, bumper stickers, cards, t shirts, sweatshirts and lots
more!  Become a fan!  http://www.facebook.com/TheParentSide

                    Resources are listed for general information purposes only
                    Kids Together does not endorse products, services, or
provide any legal advice

                    Kids Together, Inc. is an all-volunteer non-profit 501(c)3
organization
                    We support the belief that children with disabilities, like
all children,
                    have the need to be welcomed, cherished and embraced in our
communities.

                    To Subscribe or Unsubscribe go to
//www.freelists.org/webpage/ktnewsletter
                    or Subscribe - email ktnewsletter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
type "subscribe" in the subject line
                    Unsubscribe - email  ktnewsletter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"unsubscribe" in the subject line

                    Website: http://www.kidstogether.org
                    Inclusive Education Listserv:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/kidstogether

              Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KidsTogether
              Please notify us to receive this newsletter in text only

GIF image