[Kids Together email newsletter] October 2009

  • From: "Kids Together, Inc." <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ktnewsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:26:18 -0400

Kids Together Email Newsletter

                    "promoting inclusive communities where all people belong"

                    October 2009
                    This list consists of over 3000 people (and growing!)
                    Suggestions for newsletter items are welcome!

                    "I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever
situation I may find myself.  For I have learned that the greater part of our
misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our
disposition."
                    ~ Martha Washington (1732-1802), First American First Lady ~

                    Community Choice Act (CCA)
                    A Community-Based Alternative To Nursing Homes And
Institutions
                    For People With Disabilities
                    http://www.adapt.org/cca.php

                    ADAPT provides information and links about the Community
Choice Act. Tell your legislators to include the Community Choice Act as part
of the Health Care Reform!

                    "For decades, people with disabilities, both old and young,
have wanted alternatives to nursing homes and other institutions when they need
long term services. Our long term care system has a heavy institutional bias."

                    "The Community Choice Act provides an alternative and will
fundamentally change our long term care system and the institutional bias that
now exists. Building on the Money Follows the Person concept, the two million
Americans currently residing in nursing homes and other institutions would have
a choice. In addition, people would not be forced into institutions order to
get out on community services; once they are deemed eligible for the
institutional services, people with disabilities and their families will be
able to choose where and how they receive services. Instead of making a new
entitlement, the Community Choice Act, makes the existing entitlement more
flexible."

                    See also - The ARC Action Alert
http://www.capwiz.com/thearc/callalert/index.tt?alertid=14142341

                    Inclusion Advocates - Network and Unite!
                    NEW!!! Kids Together Networking Community Group!!
                    http://kidstogether.ning.com/

                    Check out the new networking section on the Kids Together
website! Participants much register, it works similar to Facebook. There are
sections for blogs, groups, posts, photos, and events. Participants can invite
people to join, and also contact others members one on one.

                    Kids Together, Inc. is also on Facebook

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=9703316004&ref=nf

                    White House makes a push for -
                    agencies, contractors to hire people with disabilities

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=35&sid=1780206 (read more)

                    For the first time, the White House is strongly
recommending contractors and grantees join agencies in providing more
employment opportunities for people with disabilities.

                    President Obama Monday kicked off National Disability
Employment Awareness Month by detailing several initiatives the federal
government will lead.

                    "Across this country, millions of people with disabilities
are working or want to work, and they should have access to the support and
services they need to succeed," the President says in a statement. "As the
nation's largest employer, the federal government and its contractors can lead
the way by implementing effective employment policies and practices that
increase opportunities and help workers achieve their full potential. We must
also rededicate ourselves to fostering an inclusive work culture that welcomes
the skills and talents of all qualified employees. That's why I've asked the
responsible agencies to develop new plans and policies to help increase
employment across America for people with disabilities." .

                    TASH Conference - Pittsburgh PA!
                    Wednesday, November 18 - Saturday November 21, 2009
                    http://www.tash.org/2009tash/ConferenceProgram.htm

                    "The TASH Conference is the largest and most progressive
conference in the United States that focuses on strategies for achieving full
inclusion for people with disabilities. When our family was just beginning our
journey of planning for my daughter's education and future, we found a
community in TASH.  Today because of TASH we believe that people with
disabilities belong in their own homes in the community, and not in
institutions; we believe that people with disabilities should hold jobs at the
prevailing wage, and not be forced into sheltered workshops where they earn
only pennies a day; and we believe that people with disabilities should go onto
college and post secondary education like brothers, sisters and classmates".
(Liz Healey, past TASH President and Executive Director of the PEAL Center in
Pittsburgh)

                    A full conference program is available at the website --
note the breadth of innovation and best practice. For staff members who have
not had training opportunities recently, the TASH conference provides an
extraordinary opportunity to learn innovations and meet the leaders in
inclusive education, transition, employment and supported adult living --- and
it's remarkably affordable and right in our backyard!  Registration is easy at
www.tash.org/2009tash/ TASH accepts purchase orders, which may provide a
necessary bridge for agencies still waiting for stimulus funds to arrive.

                    Including Samuel
                    Airing Nationwide on Public TV in October!
                    Free toolkits for hosting an Including Samuel screening

                    www.includingsamuel.com

                    The nationally acclaimed documentary by photojournalist Dan
Habib comes to public television in October (Disability Awareness Month) with
support from the National Inclusion Project and CVS Caremark All Kids Can. The
film is built on the efforts of Habib and his family to include Samuel, 9, in
all facets of school and community. Including Samuel also features four other
families with varied inclusion experiences, plus interviews with dozens of
teachers, young people, parents and disability rights experts.

                    Two NEW Including Samuel Screening Toolkits, one for adults
and one for teens. The Toolkits provide all the information you need to host
your own Including Samuel screening event or party. Toolkits contain discussion
questions, actions for inclusion, a suggested agenda and much more! The Teen
toolkit features a letter from Isaiah, Samuel's older brother. For a regularly
updated list of broadcasts or to download the Toolkits, visit
www.includingsamuel.com.

                    House Passes Hate Crimes Legislation
                    Protections For People With Disabilities
                    October 8, 2009

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2009/10/09/house-votes-hate-crimes/5734/

                    The US House of Representatives voted in favor of
legislation containing the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes
Prevention Act, which extends the definition of violent hate crimes to include
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.

                    The original bill, H.R. 1913, passed the House on April
29th of this year, mostly along partisan lines.  The Senate attached its
version of the Hate Crimes Bill to the Defense Authorization Act of 2010 (H.R.
2467), and after the bill passed the Senate, the language was maintained by the
House/Senate Conference Committee.  Today, the Defense Authorization Act
conference report passed on a vote that broke largely on partisan lines, 281 to
146.

                    "No American should ever have to suffer persecution or
violence because of who they are, how they look or what they believe," House
Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said of the hate crimes bill, which passed as
part of a larger defense spending bill. "This legislation also gives state and
local law enforcement the tools they need to prevent and prosecute hate crimes
nationwide, helping protect Americans against bias-motivated violence and
securing our fundamental right to feel safe in our communities."

                    PEAC
                    Pennsylvania Education for All Coalition
                    http://www.paedforall.org

                    FREE IEP Clinic  (LAST CALL!)
                    Saturday October 10th See the flyer for info (click on
flyer or visit website) - some spaces still available Contact Lindsey Walker at
lwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or call (267) 232 0570 to register.  Watch the wesbite
for future trainings!

                    Lehigh Valley Chapter of PEAC
                    Individuals are needed to help arrange speakers and
organize meetings.  Future meeting times and places will be announced. Please
send suggestions for times and places in the Lehigh Valley area and if you are
interested in participating ctomko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    In memory of Trish Creegan - Trish was one of the founding
members of Ed for All and our vice-president.  Please consider joining friends
and family, or making a donation to the Free to Breath 5k walk/run in memory of
Trish. We have continued the fundraising team, "Team Pio" that she created for
the event. http://participate.freetobreathe.org/goto/teampio

                    Moving Forward: Transition Conference for Youth
                    Saturday, November 7, 2009 - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (FREE)

                    http://www.drnpa.org/news/id/18 more info at
http://www.drnpa.org/File/093009workshops.doc

                    Registration is CLOSED.  If you register now, you will be
placed on a waiting list.
                    Holiday Inn
                    432 Pennsylvania Avenue
                    Fort Washington, PA 19034

                    Oppose Keystone Exam Regulations
                    Graduation Competency Assessment Regs Will Hurt  students
with IEPs

http://capwiz.com/thearc/issues/alert/?alertid=14105701&type=CU&show_alert=1

                    Background:  The PA State Board of Education and the PA
Department of Education began the process in the summer of 2008 to have
regulations passed that would require high school students take and pass
"Graduation Competency Exams", now known as "Keystone Exams", before they can
graduate.  These regulations have largely been opposed by nearly every
education-related constituency and advocacy group.  Public hearings were held
and written comments taken throughout the process, as required, but they have
had little impact on the drafters of the final regulations.  Through public
roundtables, hearings, and formal commenting processes, The Arc of PA and the
advocacy community have expressed their concerns with these regulations because
they will be harmful to students with disabilities.  (The complete regulations
can be found at: www.irrc.state.pa.us/regulations/RegInfo.cfm?IRRCNO=2696)

                    The Independent Regulatory Commission is voting on the
final form regulations of the Keystone Exam proposal on October 22, 2009. The
Arc of PA, along with nearly every other educational advocacy organization and
two-thirds of the General Assembly, has expressed opposition to these high
stake exams. (Go to the action alert to see more information)

                    The Parent Side (tm)
                    T-shirts, cards, magnets mugs, stickers & more!
                    It's a campaign for inclusion and against exclusion!
                    http://www.theparentside.com

                    Products that promote inclusion. Gifts for parents,
teachers, self-advocates and others! Mugs, tote bags, buttons, posters, bumper
stickers, cards, t shirts, sweatshirts and lots more!
                    Keep voting at
http://funtshirts.top-site-list.com/vote182.html to keep the shop at the top!

                    Become a fan on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/The-Parent-Side/46673878497

                    Resources are listed for general information purposes only
                    Kids Together does not endorse products, services, or
provide any legal advice

                    Kids Together, Inc. is an all-volunteer non-profit 501(c)3
organization
                    We support the belief that children with disabilities, like
all children,
                    have the need to be welcomed, cherished and embraced in our
communities.
                    Please notify us to receive this newsletter in text only

                    To Subscribe or Unsubscribe go to
//www.freelists.org/webpage/ktnewsletter
                    or Subscribe email ktnewsletter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  type
"subscribe" in the subject line