[kochi_hw_club] Re: Modem based on Conexant chipset ?

  • From: Bobby P Rajan <bobbyprajan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kochi_hw_club@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:20:28 +0530

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 17:15, Zaheer Mohamed Kozhakkaniyil wrote:

> . If possible, could you name a modem which has the
> exact chipset as your modem, which works on all distros well.

hi

i use a Dlink DFM-560-E modem here. works fine with windows and linux.
it has a rockwell chipset. struck by lightning twice and got the
miniature relay fried each time. first time i replaced the relay 2'nd
time didn't bother. still going strong :-) unfortunately this modem is
not sold by dlink any more. if you have this modem i have found adding
"+MS=56,1,300,38000" gives stable and fast connects

it's cousin brother DFM-560-ES is available in market in two variants,
usb and serial. this is an altogether different modem which uses a
different connexant chipset. i suggest u stay away from this particular
modem as it is very sensitive to line noise. if you are having trouble
with this modem, add "+MS=V34" to the init string u use which forces it
to negotiate only V.34 connection.

i also strongly discourage anybody going for an internal modem using the
motorola sm56 chip, particularly those who use linux. the binary driver
supplied by motorola works only upto 2.4.5 kernel. this modem, like any
other internal modem is a pain to setup and is very prone to line noise.

my cousin has a multitech modem and it works with windows and linux and
works perfectly, but it is a costly modem. same goes for us.robotics.

would love to hear your experiences with modems

regards

bobby