[klaatumail] Re: Three Friends

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:50:29 -0400

They didn't think this thing through and are, like all institutions from the
era of major label 'stupid money' (i.e. label backed bank accounts), have
neglected to take into consideration that you NEVER launch a tour without
having enough stops on your trip to pay those high costs at least THREE times
over. How many North American dates are they doing? The ticket price should
never exceed the regular ticket price of the venue.

And in this economy they should know better. People like Robert and many of us
here cannot afford these types of shows. The era of picking the fan pockets is
over.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234
CDs http://www.bullseyecanada.com
MP3s http://www.bullseyesongs.com
RADIO: http://www.radiothatdoesntsuck.com
SWAG: http://www.cafepress.com/bullseyecanada
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/bullseyecanada

Author, Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/

PERSONAL - http://www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz
               - http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Jaimie-Vernon
BLOG - http://verminator.livejournal.com

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:42:57 -0300
> Subject: [klaatumail] Re: Three Friends
> From: barneyrubble120@xxxxxxxxx
> To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hey friends, S:^)
>
> I just had to pipe up on this. I fully understand, Robert, if $150 and
> travel expenses is a bit too high for you to see Three Friends (Gary
> Green, Kerry Minnear, and Malcolm Mortimore plus four other musicians)
> play the music of Gentle Giant (of which those three were all members
> of GG). But I wouldn't want others to think that $150 is a high price
> to pay for a band of such caliber without weighing everything here.
>
> To look at the reality of it all, to get Three Friends over in such a
> fashion that the band members would still make money and that you
> don't have to take out a loan and pay it back over several years,
> you'd have to sell tickets at at least $75 a head for a single band. I
> believe tickets went for 40 Euros apiece in Sweden, and the place was
> packed (over 400 people, standing room only). Sweden being in Europe,
> they didn't have to worry over factoring high overseas airfare costs
> into the equation. Even if the FMPM festival absolutely sells all its
> tickets (which, mind you, it only has _less_ than 20 weekend passes
> remaining total, out of over 500), there is still the possibility that
> the festival will not break even. Given light of the inability for
> Thieves' Kitchen to perform due to health issues, and in light of what
> it would cost to bring 3F to the festival, the final decision was: "If
> we make a profit, that's a bonus."
>
> To give a comparison: when the Strawbs first came to Montreal in the
> late '90s/early 2000's, they had less than 100 people there. The
> promoters had to eat their shirts. Forward to 2009, and they actually
> _packed_ the place! The first attempt is usually the trickiest...
> Given the lack of a proper tour or itinerary for 3F, it's
> understandable that costs are going to be high. But it was a chance
> I'm glad the FMPM team was willing to take. And hopefully, yes, there
> will be other opportunities in North America as well.
>
> BTW, Feel free and take the time to listen to the other groups on the
> fmpm.net website. Italian band Le Orme hails from the same years as
> Gentle Giant (late '60s beat group to early '80s pop-rock-ish group
> going through excellent prog years in the '70s), and I can say their
> 2000 album "Elementi" is my favorite, and perhaps their best album
> ever. DFA ("Duty Free Area"), also from Italy, is _killer_ fusion...
> they absolutely surprised me when I first heard them. And atop that,
> Miriodor is one of the best current RIO/"Math Rock" groups I've heard
> (and Rouge Ciel is a really good one as well)... and ExCubus were
> around in the '70s, and have been getting rave reviews. That's 6 bands
> out of 7 that I can personally vouch for. Not a bad ratio for a
> festival. S:^)
>
> Just had to put in my $0.02 worth,
> Glen (aka Barney Rubble)

> [...]

Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?60826