[klaatumail] Re: Abbey Road

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:47:59 -0400

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:22:33 -0700
>
>   While I`m on the subject of the Beatles, theres something I don`t
> understand. Nobody >ever acknowledges Billy Preston on I Want You. Even in
> Geoff Emericks book Here There and >Everywhere, he says that Abbey Road was
> done completely by The Beatles with no outside >musicians(except the
> orchestra). But just listen to the organ flourishes during that tune. >That`s
> obviously neither Paul or George Martin playing those.

Get Emerick's "Abbey Road Sessions" which breaks down every recording session
day-by-day with who played what, how many overdbubs and how many takes of each
song:

***********************
Page 173 - April 18, 1969:
Musicians: George Harrison & John Lennon
Producer: Chris Thomas; Engineers: Jeff Jarratt and John Kurlander

Studio 3, 2:30 - 10:30 PM 'Old Brown Shoe' was completed during this Chris
Thomas-supervised session with a Hammond organ overdub (wiping, in the process,
John's previous rhythm guitar track) and an additional lead guitar track put
through a Leslie speaker. Both overdubs were played by George Harrison.

Studio 2, 1-4:30 AM. Recording and reduction mix of "I Want You (She's So
Heavy)".

Page 174 - April 20, 1969
Musicians: John Lennon, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr
Producer: Chris Thomas; Engineers: Jeff Jarratt and John Kurlander
Studio 3, 7.00 PM - 12.45 AM
All four Beatles lay down bedtracks for "Oh! Darling" with Ringo (drums), Paul
(bass and guide vocal), John (piano) and George (guitar). George overdubs
Hammond organ onto Take 26 and a stereo mix was made at the end of the session.
The Hammond was later wiped off the master recording during final mix of the
album.

Studio 3 (later that same session): Overdubs for "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
including George on Hammond organ and Mal Evans on congas brought in specially
for the session.
******************************

So, as you can see, along with the synth parts he played on "Here Comes The
Sun" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", Harrison appears to have been the
keyboardist on the whole album (short of Lennon and McCartney's various piano
indulgences).

>Just like the last re-issue of All Things Must Pass. I thought for sure Peter
>Frampton would >have his name on there. But he doesn`t.

Well, Peter Frampton wasn't on the album...so putting his name in the credits
would have been just as silly as adding Billy Preston's to "I Want You (She's
So Heavy)". Those Frampton-sounding guitar lines were courtesy of Traffic's
Dave Mason.

Jaimie

We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?66047