[kismac] Re: tiBook 400mhz, Airport card, 10.4.6, 0.2a - can't use as primary device

  • From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:52:10 -0400

Passive mode means that you are "listening" for packets only and not broadcasting any information. Passive mode does not mean packet injection is supported. They are different characteristics of the wireless device.

In KisMAC, injection is only supported by Prism2 devices. Apple's airport card is based on the hermes chipset so it supports passive mode, but not injection. Apple airport extreme is based on a Broadcom chipset that is really only useful for active mode scanning. Until Broadcom releases the technical documents around it's chip sets, the only solution is reverse engineering, often leading to quirky and unreliable drivers.

On May 2, 2006, at 11:27 AM, Matt Kime wrote:

Then why does kismac list a Apple Airport (not extreme) passive mode
driver in the software? I've found a lot of contradictory info on
this.

--matt

On 5/2/06, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That feature only works with prism2 based pcmcia or USB wireless
devices.  Your airport card uses a hermes chip set (like the Orinoco
cards).

If you want to take advantage of all KisMAC features I recommend you
get one of these cards:

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?
cPath=2&products_id=5&osCsid=5075ce873f558518f3c5d8096715e498

It is the one I use with my G4 Ti book and it works flawlessly under
10.4.6.

Erik