[kismac] Re: mac address change on classic orinoco gold ( 8410-EU )

  • From: Lasse Jespersen <l.j@xxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:46:59 +0200

no thanks, in that case, but thanks anyway.. i will install some other operating system on a spare partition, so i can do what i want. i know freebsd has easy way to control wireless networking, can you recommend something that works well on ppc? perhaps openbsd? yellowdog linux? what would you opt for?

On 04. maj 2004, at 19:28, Michael Rossberg wrote:

Hey,

regarding the Airport driver, it is impossible to change mac address now, because of how it's made.. or somesuch.. Mick can elaborate on this. I don't know why IOXPERT driver set is crippled like this. It is trivial to change mac address on all my other computers with my pccard and other network crap, and a driver I pay 25USD for really should allow this :(

There are a couple of problems one has to deal with when changing the MAC address on a os x system (that is why my sf driver patch needs an extra program to do this). the problem with ioxperts imho is that they authenticate your card with the MAC address.
Lasse: there is a way to patch your card permanently, however it is VERY difficult and dangerous. i cannot recommend it, unless you have a real reason to do so. note that you will not be able to use your ioxperts license anymore. if you still want to do it, send me a mail privately.

mick