[kismac] Re: Wireless Driver with KisMac and Tiger; 2 latest Tiger Fixes

  • From: "Java Nut" <javanut20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: curioushacker@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:22:23 -0500

I believe that I was talking about my SMC 2532W-B card, as the pccard string you illustrate is for that Card. I have had varying levels of functionality with this card, the sourceforge wireless driver, and kismac, depending on version of Mac OS X tried. I am making a separate post to the list on this subject to start a Guide that will be posted on the wiki.

The chart at SeattleWireless.net indicates the SMC 2532W-B is PRISM 2.5, sometimes Prism 3 and the chart at www.linux-wlan.org indicates Prism 2/2.5/3. I never got precise information from the manufacturer, but my card does work as a PRISM card (no WEP). If your card is Prism 2.5, I suspect you will have the same experience as I. I suspect my card actually is Prism 2.5 based on when I got it about two years ago, because Seattle Wireless at that time said Prism 2.5. www.linux-wlan.org indicated Prism 2/2.5/3 both then and now. And I think that your card is really the same as mine if you get the same pccard indication - they are probably just labelled with different brands.

i was searching thru the freelists archives and saw an old (2003) post from you about getting the demarctech or senoa cards to work with the sourceforge driver.
this is kind of relevant to me now that the sf driver supposedly works with tiger, and i have a shiny new prism 2.5 demarctech card.
were you ever able to get your card to work with the sf driver? mine outputs the same as yours did:
| | | "VersionOneInfo" = (" ","IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN/PC Card","")
| | | +-o pccardd601,5@0,0 <class IOPCCard16Device, registered, matched, active, busy 0, r$
    | |   |         "IOName" = "pccardd601,5"

i tried to add it to:
/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
but no dice, my card does not show up in ifconfig either.
any help would be appreciated!