[kismac] Re: Vendor ID's

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:27:31 +0200

Hey,

Is there some file/directory where kisMAC stores it's Vendor ID's for MAC addresses? If so, is there a way users can ad more?

KisMAC.app/Contents/Resources/vendor.db seems to be it. Looks like a normal plist file. IEEE assigns vendors their OUI (the first three octets of a MAC address). I suppose if you were so inclined, you could fetch the newest oui.txt from IEEE and format it for KisMAC's use. Then you'd have all the vendors OUIs mapped in KisMAC.

It'd probably be *much* easier to just add them by hand. Depends on what you're trying to do. Also, I'm sure Mick has a much better way of keeping up to date with the assignments.

let me just add the following notes:

* you can also add longer prefixes for more specific devices like: 00:03:93:EB for an Airport Extreme basestation
* i am developing a web frontend so that everyone can simply add their devices. it is not done yet, but you can see it at <http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/wifidevices.php>
* i am not a friend of the IEEE data, as it is sometimes outdated and it does not follow a real labeling convention :o/

mick