[kismac] USB 802.11 adapters

  • From: Chris Osborn <fozztexx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:00:05 -0800

On Jan 30, 2004, at 1:52 PM, David Reid wrote:

If you really want passive scanning/packet capture on your 17" PB pickup
a nice supported PCMCIA card or like i'm doing is currently using a
Microsoft MN-510 USB Adapter. It's got good range and even includes an
internal antenna connector, which with a little modding to the case
becomes an external antenna connector. :)

I see a list on the KisMAC website of a bunch of adapters that are known to work. What's required to make them work with KisMAC? Does there need to be a driver so that OS X can use the adapter as a network connection, or does KisMAC talk to the USB adapter directly? And would I need to load any KisMAC drivers to talk to a USB adapter?

Also, which USB 802.11 adapters work with OS X as another network device?

I was thinking it would be nice to get something so I can hook up an external Cantenna, do some scanning, and then if I find a good signal, use the Cantenna to go online.