[kismac] Re: Spoofing MAC Address on Tiger

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:54:17 +0930

Ahh, the good old arrow! There's a way around that - but it's not too easy. You have to use the commandline airport tool to join the network, and it gets rid of it.

And as for the autojoin networks - find the SSIDs they are probing for and look them up on WiGLE - find where they live, where they work, maybe even if they like leeching off people with open networks (if they're probing for belkin54g, netgear etc...).

SpoofMAC works fine for me.

Although I patch the driver manually with a hexeditor - it works better :)

On 02/09/2006, at 10:00 AM, Jorge Laranjo wrote:

But the questions is: I was probing the networks with my DWL-122 and AE.
Then, when I found a open network I spoofed my AE but then the icon of the AE turn into the usual icon with a arrow on it (on the menu).

And I can't join a network. So I need to do it with the AE turned off? I'll try that.

On 9/2/06, devnullian@xxxxxxx <devnullian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, this is most likely your problem. To elaborate, SpoofMac will
not work if you have connected to any networks since your last restart.
Depending on your level of paranoia, deleting all of your auto-joined
networks can be a good idea. Why? Because some crafty guys created a
wireless attack program called "karma" that can attack you if you
have auto-join networks. Karma works by listening as your wireless
card probes for the networks in your auto-join list. It then creates
a network with the same SSID as one of your auto-join networks, which
your Mac will dutifully connect to. At this point you may be subject
to driver exploits (if they exist... this is an open question, as
anyone who subscribes to the securityfocus wireless list will know)
or anything else the attacker wants to do.
So, think about wether the convenience of auto-joining networks is
worth this risk (which it very well could be, it's your decision).

Devnullian