[kismac] Re: Some stuff about Wildcats...

  • From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 10:22:46 -0400

After upgrading to Tiger I was pretty pissed. Apple changed about half of the Kernel API.

According to Ars Technica, who I guess gets it from developer dox or sources that I haven't cared to find yet, the API will now not be changed for several versions to come. Little consolation, of course.

After I changed the code to run on Tiger, it will no longer work with Panther anymore. =/ Basically this means we are stuck with the Tiger for the time being.

Is it reasonably possible for a coder to do a diff and create a Panther compatible version (standard #if #else #endif stuff)? Or are you saying you were forced to drastically and fundamentally change the way you did many things?

I've been running Tiger for a while on my iBook G3/800, so I'm not even sure I'll spend much time in Panther, unless Tiger pisses me off a lot too. So far, my only complaint is speed - Tiger is faster under the hood, but the all-important perception of GUI speed is not so good in my experience to date - my graphics chip has been left behind.

Stefan Jeglinski